The Somnath temple is dedicated to Someshwara, another name of Lord Shiva with moon on his head. The temple is situated in Saurashtra, Gujarat.
The temple is considered sacred due to the various legends connected to it. Somnath means "The Protector of the Moon god". The Somnath Temple is known as "The Shrine Eternal", having been destroyed many times by Islamic kings and rulers.
· There is no information on the First attack.
· Second attack by Junayad, the Arab governor of Sind in the year 725.
· Third attack by Mahmud of Ghazni in the year 1024.
· Forth attack by Allauddin Khilji in the year 1296.
· Fifth attack by Muzaffar Shah I of Gujarat Sultanate in the year 1375.
· Sixth attack by Mahmud Begada, the Sultan of Gujarat in the year 1451.
· Seventh attack by Aurangzeb, Mughal emperor in the year 1665.
Even after every attack, the temple was rebuilt by Hindu emperors and protected the glory of Somnath Temple.
· First rebuilt by Yadava kings of Vallabhi, Gujarat in the year 649.
· Second rebuilt by Gurjara Pratihara king Nagabhata II in the year 815.
· Third rebuilt by Gujjar Paramara King Bhoj of Malwa and the Solanki king Bhimdev I of Anhilwara between 1026 and 1042.
· Forth rebuilt by Mahipala Deva, the Chudasama king of Saurashtra in the year 1308
· Later on a joint effort of Peshwa of Pune, Raja Bhonsle of Nagpur, Chhatrapati Bhonsle of Kolhapur, Queen Ahilyabai Holkar of Indore & Shrimant Patilbuwa Shinde of Gwalior rebuilt the temple in the year 1783 at a site adjacent to the ruined temple.
· The modern temple was reconstructed with the resolve of Sardar Patel who visited the ruins of Somnath temple on November 13 1947. Then President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, did the Pran-Pratistha at the existing temple on 11 May 1951.
According to Skanda Purana, the legend goes like this:
Chandra married the twenty seven daughters (stars) of Daksha, but was very partial and showed lot more love and affection to Rohini. The remaining twenty six wives not only felt neglected but also insulted. They were disappointed with their husband and went and complained to their father. Daksha was upset to see his daughters suffer so, tried twice to convince his son-in-law to change himself, but in vain. He put a curse on him that Chandra would be “decreasing” in size.
The Devas (Celestial gods) were very sad at Chandra’s plight and went to Brahma (The Creator). In order to find out a remedy for this condition of Chandra and get a solution for redressing the curse Brahma told them that the only way out was to worship Vrishabhdhwaj Shankar at Prabhas Kshetra Mahamrityunjay. Chandra went on a penance for six months and prayed to Lord Shiva, at the end of which Shankara appeared before him. He gave Chandra the boon that in a month, he would grow for fifteen days in one half and in the other half he would keep losing one Kala (shade) per day and decrease in size. He was pleased with the Devas and in order to increase the prestige of the place, Lord Shiva Himself came to be known as Someshwar, meaning famous moon (Soma). The Devas established a Someshwar Kund(Pond) there. By taking a holy dip in this Kund, it is believed that one would obtain release from all the sins.
Chandra or moon is also called Som. That is why this JyotirLinga has become famous as Somanath. Chandra looks very bright here. Therefore, this place is also known as “Prabhasapattana”.
Events & Festivals:
· Shravan Month
· Golokdham Utsav
· Kartik Purnima Fair (5 Days).
· Somnath Sthapana Divas
Darshan Timing is from 6 AM to 9.30PM.
Aarti Timings : Morning = 7:00 AM, 12:00 Noon & 7:00PM.
Light And Sound Show Timing = 8:00 PM To 9:00 PM. (Except in the Monsoon / Rainy Season).
· Ahalyabai Temple
· Bhalka Tirth
· Shashi Bhushan Temple
· Triveni Sangam Ghat
· Golokdham Tirth
· Harihar Mahaprabhuji’s Betha
· Prachi Tirth
City : Prabhas Patan
Taluka : Veraval
Dist. : Girsomnath
State : Gujara
Country : India
PIN : 362 268
Note: If you have any complaints/concerns with regards to the content in this post, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org